Monday, August 18, 2008

i walk.

i walk to and fro to work each day, and each day i see things.

i see a homeless person in the same spot for months, looking more forlorn each day, and then he disappears. i see children walking to school, clutching their moms' hands, and scurrying to join friends once they reach the school's gate. today i saw a bus that didn't slow down at its stop, and in the place where the route is usually displayed, "CALL 911 THE POLICE" was emblazoned on the front and back of the vehicle. I stopped, focusing on the driver, who looked--as much as I could tell--normal. I kept walking, telling myself it was probably a mistake, immediately followed by "I don't want to be the sort of person who thinks someone else will respond to a call for help."

So I called 911 and explained what I saw. It was likely a mistake. And now the cops have my cell phone number.

---
update: 8/19
someone asked me if i learned anything about what was up, if this were a "runaway bus," so i looked into it.

and found nothing.
and a bit of something:

from sfist.com: "This is a way for the drivers to be discrete and have the police notified. Please call it in. Remember the number on the bus, coach, trolley - the direction of travel, where you last saw it and any odd observations you may have seen."

No comments: