Friday, November 10, 2006

unintended result

Last night I learned about the forward- and outward-thinking experimenters and dreamers of the 1960's who imagined new ways of being and blazed uncharted trails to connect and create community. These culture-shifting innovators produced ideas that later influenced the early beginnings of user-generated content and computers for people, not merely calculations.

Last night I learned something else: they were all men.

Now, I know this isn’t true. I know women were a part of this creative and imaginative era, but in what role? Were they scientists, artists, thought leaders? Were they authors, pranksters, inventors? Were they ardent supporters of their partners while toiling in the communes, or maintaining a semblance of domestic civility while loved ones tested LSD and tinkered with machinery? And while they were scooping up children and feeding their families, did they contribute to the wildly creative moments while engaging in spousal conversations, producing innovative ideas that flourished and bloomed under the patriarch’s stewardship?

I don’t know. But I wonder.

No comments: